Digital technologies are driving massive economic, social and environmental change and can either be used to exacerbate social and environmental degradation - or they can help build a healthy, green and more equitable future. The transformational capabilities of digitalization can be a crucial tool to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to address the triple planetary crisis by 2030.
The Coalition for Digital Environmental Sustainability (CODES), is an international multi-stakeholder alliance created in March 2021 in response to the UN Secretary General’s Roadmap for Digital Cooperation. In this regard it also aligns with the efforts of the IGF 2021 Policy Network on Environment. CODES aims to steer the use of digital technologies toward accelerating environmentally and socially sustainable development. Over the last year, CODES has grown into a community of over a 1000 individuals and organizations that have worked to co-create an “Action Plan for a Sustainable Planet in the Digital Age”. The CODES Action Plan offers a clear vision on #DigitalSustainability and a set of nine catalytic Impact Initiatives that will spark systems-level transformational change to integrate environmental sustainability as a key value and outcome of the digital revolution.
Linking digital transformation with sustainability transformation through the CODES initiative is also an important topic for the agenda of the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Technology, who coordinates the implementation of the Secretary-General’s Roadmap on Digital Cooperation. This IGF event will sustain momentum for this shared goal with the Envoy towards the Global Digital Compact in 2023 and the implementation of the CODES Impact Initiatives. Our goal at IGF 2022 is to showcase the progress of implementing the initiatives collaboratively, expand global stakeholder engagement and operationalize action for #DigitalSustainability on the ground within a whole-of-society approach.
- CODES (Coalition for Digital Environmental Sustainability):
- Future Earth
- German Environment Agency (UBA) - Western European and Others Group
- International Science Council (ISC)
- Kenya Ministry of Environmental and Forestry - African Group
- Sustainability in the Digital Age (SDA)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Amandeep Gill, Under-Secretary-General and UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Technology
- Dirk Messner (President of the German Environment Agency)
- Reina Otsuka (Lead Digital Innovation Nature, Climate and Energy, Bureau for Policy and Programme Support at the United Nations Development Programme)
- Speakers from the Initiatives
Step 1: click CODES Session Link: IGF 2022 Open Forum #68 Our Action Plan for a Sustainable Planet in the Digital Age | Internet Governance Forum (intgovforum.org)
Step 2: Register via IGF-Page (Caution: registration-mail might end up in your spam-folder!)
Step 3: Add CODES Session to your schedule
Step 4: Go to your personal IGF schedule: Personal Schedule | Internet Governance Forum (intgovforum.org)
Step 5: click “Join Here” on CODES Session
Step 6: create zoom Account ( if not already available) / a Zoom account is required. Please be sure to have logged-in into Zoom before joining sessions. If you do not have a Zoom account yet, create one for free and log-in.
For more information see: