Introduction to TMx2
The Targeting Men, Transforming Masculinities (TMx2) agenda is an approach to understanding the workings of patriarchal masculinities and addressing their harmful impacts in order to support a more broad-based, equitable and sustainable recovery.
The TMx2 agenda focuses on three pillars:
1. Patriarchal Power: Making progress on gender equality depends on ending the social acceptability of women’s subordination. In turn, this requires efforts to challenge the patriarchal masculinities that sustain this subordination which operate at multiple levels: individual (personal attitudes and behaviors); institutional (policies and practices); and ideological (social norms and cultural traditions).
2. Masculine Vulnerabilities: Many of the masculine roles, behaviors and attributes that grant men patriarchal privileges also make them vulnerable to a range of harms, from lower life expectancy to mental health problems. The personal and social costs of gender inequalities impact not only to women and girls but also men and boys.
3. Intersectional Inequalities: Many of these vulnerabilities are themselves linked to inequalities that are shaped by other forces of social marginalization. Patriarchal masculinities feed off and reinforce other social inequalities, such as those influenced by class, race, religion, age, sexual identity and disability to name a few. This policy agenda must understand and respond to such intersectional inequalities in order to fully address both patriarchal power and masculine vulnerabilities.
How to use this repository:
- Click on the 'Events' tab and select 'Past events' to view the recordings of past TMx2 webinars. Past webinars include:
- Targeting Men and Transforming Masculinities: Conceptual and Operational Overview, October 2020
- Challenging Patriarchal Masculinities in Security Sector Reform, Feb 2021
- Challenging Patriarchal Masculinities and Preventing Gender-based Violence (GBV), Feb 2021
- Browse resources and publications under the 'Content' tab.
- For SparkBlue content managers, use the 'Transforming Masculinities' tag when uploading relevant content to SparkBlue and select the Targeting Men, Transforming Masculinities (TMx2) group to feature your content here.
Get in touch
If you'd like to learn more about the TMx2 project at UNDP, please do not hesitate to reach out to Diego Antoni at email@example.com