The webinar will present key lessons and practices from the Joint Complementary Mechanism for Sustainable Reintegration in Brazil (SURE), a project funded by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) and co-financed by the Portuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF) aiming to contribute to a more informed and sustainable reintegration process in Brazil, through a complementary joint reintegration model.
The SURE project ran from January 2019 to December 2020 and benefitted more than 100 Brazilian returnees supported by existing assisted voluntary return and reintegration programmes in Portugal, Ireland and Belgium with the overall objective of strengthening the connection between pre-departure counselling and post-arrival support for the returnees. In this frame, the project set up a referral and coordination mechanism that promoted a more sustainable reintegration for returning migrants in Brazil.
During this event, lessons learnt from the implementation of the project, including experiences from practitioners in Brazil, will be shared with participants by:
- Lieutenant-General Botelho Miguel, National Director, Portuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF) and Mr. Vasco Malta, Head of Office, IOM Portugal
- Mr. Luís Carrasquinho, AVRR Project Manager, IOM Portugal and Mr. Guilherme Otero, Project Coordinator and Head of Office, IOM Brazil/São Paulo
- Ms. Graziella Rocha, Project Coordinator for the promotion of migrants and refugees' rights, ASBRAD
- Prof. Duval Fernandes, Professor at Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais (PUC-MG), post-graduate studies in Geography and Economics Department. Member of the Observatory on Migration of Minas Gerais.
- Ms. Barbara Borrego, Senior Project Assistant, IOM Portugal
Webinars organized by the EU-IOM Knowledge Management Hub and hosted on its Return and Reintegration Platform aim to present specific reintegration practices and encourage experience sharing.
The webinar, with simultaneous interpretation in English and Portuguese, will be moderated by the EU-IOM Knowledge Management Hub. A dedicated Q&A session is also foreseen to allow for meaningful exchanges with participants.