This Toolkit is designed to respond to the recommendations in the report Emerging Technologies and Judicial Integrity in ASEAN. The tools provide a primer on new technologies and their impact on judicial integrity and identify ways for judges to bring their leadership and expertise on rights protection, rule of law and equality to the introduction of new technologies into court processes and operations.
This set of tools is designed for the following purposes.
- Build judicial understanding of specific emerging technologies and their use in court processes and operations.
- Create a common understanding of new court technologies.
- Build understanding of the appropriate role for judges in the procurement process
- Create a common understanding of how well-designed procurement can protect judicial excellence
- Ensure that judicial excellence is a key priority in court technology design and implementation
- Build understanding of how judges can scrutinize the technology in use in their courtroom
- Develop common expectations of technology in the courtroom, whether in-person or online
Related publication: Emerging Technologies and Judicial Integrity in ASEAN
As part of the projects Judicial Excellence to ensure Justice for All: The Judicial Integrity Network in ASEAN, supported by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL), and FairBiz - Promoting a Fair Business Environment in ASEAN, supported by the UK Government ASEAN Economic Reform Programme, UNDP is nurturing this network of judges, which supports target countries in pursuing judicial reforms, focusing particularly on transparency, accountability, integrity, accessibility, and court excellence, promoting knowledge exchange and peer-support.