Welcome! We invite you to:
- Participate in the dedicated three-week discussion, (starting Monday 17th May) to continue addressing important topics that emerged from the virtual workshop:
- identifying key questions/themes you wish to explore further after the live workshop
- share further details of your experience and lessons learned with the GCF RBPs
- Your contributions towards the outcome of this first exchange will be compiled into a report and presented to the GCF to inform the second phase of the GCF RBPs.
Welcome to the UN-REDD Programme’s Global Knowledge Exchange on Results-based Payments for REDD+.
Countries pursuing REDD+ follow a phased, step-wise approach agreed upon by the Conferences of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), moving from readiness, to implementation, to results.
Key REDD+ actions that contribute to achieving the goals of the Paris Agreement and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development are:
- reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation
- promoting the role of conservation
- sustainably managing forests
- enhancing forest carbon stocks in developing countries (REDD+)
This Global Knowledge Exchange, which coincides with the beginning of a new phase for the UN-REDD Programme 2021-2025, aims at sharing initial lessons learned from the first pilot phase of results-based payments (RBPs) for REDD+ by creating a unique online space for discussion on the opportunities and challenges created by different REDD+ RBP schemes.
The Knowledge Exchange will be facilitated over a period of months, via a series of live exchange workshops and targeted discussions, pre and post the live workshop, on this platform. To build on the knowledge and experience of participants, the exchange will take place over three distinct phases:
- Consultation 1 April/May
- Topic focus: Recommendations from Latin America to inform the design of the second phase of GCF RBPs.
- Virtual workshop: 5th and 6th May
- Audience: Countries who have completed or are close to completing the requirements to access GCF RBPs - Latin America region
- Consultation 2 date tbc
- Topic focus: Exchange of lessons learned and innovative approaches between regions, applied to accessing RBPs from the Green Climate Fund
- Virtual workshop: tbc
- Audience: Expert practitioners from all regions - Latin America, Asia and Africa
- Consultation 3 date tbc
- Topic focus: Exchange of experiences in applying voluntary standards for high integrity emissions reductions from REDD+ (ie. ART Trees, JNR/VERRA)
- Virtual workshop: tbc
Audience: Practitioners wishing to learn more about ART TREES
The target audience of this knowledge exchange are representatives from countries in the regions of Latin America, Asia and Africa who are participating in a REDD+ results based payment processes, including:
- National REDD+ Focal points
- Representatives of national GCF accredited entities (and those seeking AE status)
The discussion groups will also benefit from the engagement of:
- Select decision-makers involved in designing phase 2 GCF RBP
- Select donor country representatives engaged in support countries to access RBPs
- Technical agency members
- Select decision-makers involved in setting voluntary standards for high integrity REDD+ (such as JNR/VERRA, ART Trees)
Outcomes of the knowledge exchange are three-fold:
- Recommendations from countries will be offered to the Green Climate Fund to inform and strengthen the 2nd phase of the GCF RBP pilot programme, ensuring inclusivity and representation of global south experiences and knowledge.
- Lessons learned and innovations developed by countries in the design and development of the proposals to access RBPs will be documented and shared in a UN-REDD Programme information brief, in order to build capacities of countries advancing REDD+ readiness and implementation efforts.
- Initial lessons from countries engaging in voluntary standards for high integrity emissions reductions for REDD+, will be shared in an infobrief, with countries seeking to engage with these standards moving forward.
For your reference please view these overview presentations of RBP processes:
- Presentation: The process to access results-based payment for REDD+ from the Green Climate Fund
- Presentation: Combining different sources of REDD+ results-based payment. What challenges for developing countries?
- Presentation: Architecture for REDD+ transactions (ART) and the REDD+ Environmental Excellence Standard (TREES). What opportunities for developing countries?
- Loom video English
UNEP, UNDP, FAO